The Power of Habit
SMALL GROUPS SERMON-BASED QUESTIONS
Sermon Topic (Week 1): Forgiveness
Sermon Scriptures: 2 Samuel 24: 1-13; Matt. 18:21-35
- Name a time in childhood when you were caught doing something you should not have done.
- How did you react? Or, how do you normally react when you’re called out on something: turtle or skunk?
- What is the difference between guilt and shame?
- What makes David so bold, respectful, and free?
- Bonus / Apply: What next step can you take to live by the axiom, “His grace is sufficient for me?"
Sermon Topic (Week 2): PRIORITIES
Sermon Scriptures: Matt. 6:25-34
- Name a family tradition and how it got started.
- Who keeps your family calendar and how do you keep things from getting too crazy?
- Which of the five area (time, trust, temple, treasure, talent) struck you as needing attention?
- What will it take to keep or to put first things first in that area of your life? Next step?
- Bonus: In general, what is your biggest barrier to having a one hand approach to life? (or) What is your greatest lure to chasing life with two fists?
Sermon Topic (Week 3): FOCUS
Sermon Scriptures: Matt. 7:12
- Are you more prone to fight or flight when a conflict arises?
- Can you remember a situation when you were being treated unfairly and you reacted? How’d it turn out?
- Looking back, can you see how practicing the Golden Rule might have changed the story’s ending?
- What makes the Golden Rule so difficult?
- Where in your life are in in the habit of fight/flight?
- What will it take to “draw the circle?"
- What would it look like to give more than simply a neutral response, but a positive one?
Sermon Topic (Week 4): RISK
Sermon Scriptures: Matt. 14:22-32
- Were you a risk-taker in your youth?
- Can you remember a risk that did not turn out as planned?
- People, like Edison, who make great gains, embraced failure as part of the process. What emotion or reality makes so many of us fear failure?
- What failure in your life resulted in a great life lesson?
- Which boat do you need to consider stepping out of, and why?
- Comfort or security?